Friday, March 14, 2008

Compiz and Gnome on Compaq R3000 laptop

In my last trip to Raleigh (NC), I bought a laptop battery for my old Compaq Presario R3000. I'm very happy because now I can stand for many hours unplugged from the grid.
Also, I had upgraded my laptop memory to 1 Gbyte. Certainly, the applications run more smoothly.

Because, I'm Linux user, my operating system has a modest hardware requirements.

Many people say that software is the computer soul. Now, I agree totally. My hardware laptop has been empowered with Compiz. In order to work with Compiz, my NVIDIA(NV17 GeForce4 420 Go 32M) video card requires the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.05-pkg1.run package, that you can download from Unix area at NVIDIA site.

Today, Linux has a lot of applications that make of it a futuristic operating system. Compiz and Beryl along with the windows managers, Gnome and KDE, make the Linux user experience, one very enjoyable.

I feel like my laptop (3.5 years old) takes a new breath and I'm happy with it.

No comments: